“What can we do? … We can offer what little we have. We certainly have a few hours of time, some talent, some expertise.”
- Pope Francis (July 26, 2015)
1833 - Frederic Ozanam, on this 20th birthday in Paris, decides to found the "Conference of Charity"
1851 - The Society of St Vincent de Paul is established in St Louis, Missouri at the Basilica of St. Louis, King of France ("The Old Cathedral")
1969 - The Cedar Rapids Society of St Vincent de Paul opens its doors at 928 7th Street Southeast
TODAY - Our volunteer base is enriched by your service (we hope!)
Cedar Rapids Society of St. Vincent de Paul
Frederic was a husband and father, professor and servant of the poor. He founded the Society of St. Vincent de Paul as a young student with others of the Sorbonne in Paris. Sister Rosalie Rendu, a Daughter of Charity, is considered a mentor of Frederic and of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul as she taught the first members the art of helping the poor and the sick. Frederic's writings on social justice anticipated the first social encyclical of our modern times, Rerum Novarum.
Blessed Frédéric Ozanam (1813-1853)
Founder of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul
join a conference
- Evaluate applications for assistance
- Decide on services to be provided
- Pray with and for those in need
- Each conference assists a specific geographic area and you may serve any area you wish.
- Take applications for assistance
- Grant writers
- Plan Fundraising events
- Volunteer coordination... and MORE!
Work in Thrift Store
- Sort donated goods
- Help serve customers
- Research value of donated items
- Work in Food Pantry
- Drive the truck/Assist with donation pick ups